Born within the sound of the Bow bells in London, Karen Lee Field was seven when her parents decided to move to the “Lucky Country” and settle in Sydney, Australia. Apart from enjoying time with her family and pets, Karen loves escaping to fantasy worlds — places where her sometimes ordinary life is transformed into an exciting adventure and her imagination is set free. Her debut children’s novel, Cat’s Eyes, was published in 2010 and her short stories appear in several anthologies. She currently lives west of Sydney, in the beautiful Blue Mountains.
Reviews for "Cat's Eyes", Book 1 of the Land of Miu Series, published 10 December 2010:
1. This is a very enjoyable read for young children with a great story that will take their imaginations on a journey to the land of Miu, where they will experience adventures. It also teaches children respect and love for others with good family values and of course a happy ending.I hope there will be a follow on to this book.
2. This is the first book in The Land of the Miu Series. This was an entertaining story full of imagination. The characters were quite colorful and the story was so descriptive that you could visualize them. The storyline flowed nicely and the scenes in the story just fell into place. Even though you could predict how the story would end, it did not end abruptly like so many novellas tend to do. It was an enjoyable read and I think young children would really enjoy it.
3. The book had very likeable characters with believable if not slightly forced personalities, especially where the Miuans were concerned.The story tried to be dark and grim but ended up being more light-hearted than anything else. There were some grammar/spelling errors, but nothing that detracted from the story as a whole. The creatures were interesting, the language was fabulous—I loved what few new words were there—and the ending was a little overbearing. Overall, it was a lovely little story, and a good way to spend an hour or so. Great for beginning readers and preteens.
4. Please add your review here.
- Reading age: 9+
- Read aloud age: 8+
List of books
- Cat's Eyes (Book 1), 1st edition
- The Land of Miu (Book 1), 2nd edition (originally published with the title "Cat's Eyes")
- The King's Riddle (Book 2)
- The Lion Gods (Book 3)
The Desk of Karen Lee Field - author's website