Hugh Lofting's Doctor Dolittle series are sories about Doctor Dolittle and the animals he kept. He loved animals, but when Polynesia the parrot taught him to talk to the animals he liked them better than ever. He was totally unbothered by how much money he had, once going on a journey to Africia to escape the fact that he had no money. There are 12 books about Doctor Dolittle. Each book has him doing something different with his wonderful collection of animals.
Please add your review here.
Books in the series
The Story of Doctor Dolittle (1920) began the series. The sequel The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (1922) won the prestigious Newbery Medal. The next three, Doctor Dolittle's Post Office, (1923), Doctor Dolittle's Circus (1924) and Doctor Dolittle's Caravan (1926) are all actually prequels (or "midquels", as they take place during the events of The Story of Doctor Dolittle). Five more followed, and after Lofting's death two more volumes, composed of short unpublished pieces, appeared.
The books, in order of publication, are:
- The Story of Doctor Dolittle (1920)
- The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (1922)
- Doctor Dolittle's Post Office (1923)
- Doctor Dolittle's Circus (1924)
- Doctor Dolittle's Zoo (1925)
- Doctor Dolittle's Caravan (1926)
- Doctor Dolittle's Garden (1927)
- Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (1928)
- Doctor Dolittle's Return (1933)
- Doctor Dolittle and the Secret Lake (1948)
- Doctor Dolittle and the Green Canary (1950)
- Doctor Dolittle's Puddleby Adventures (1952)
- Reading Age: 10+
- Read Aloud Age: 9+
(add other guidance here)
If you like this you might like
(please add other books here)
(add external links here)