Born in New York City, David Johnson Leisk grew up in Queens. He studied at Cooper Union in 1924 and at New York University in 1925. Aside from writing and illustrating books with his wife, Ruth Krauss, he was a cartoonist known for creating the Barnaby comic strip. He is known for writing the Harold series.
Please add your review here.
- Reading age: add your suggested reading age
- Read aloud age: add your suggested read-aloud age
Add comments about the book's suitability, possible concerns and content. If the book is totally clean put "Clean".
List of books
- Harold and the Purple Crayon (1955)
- Harold's Fairy Tale (Further Adventures of with the Crayon) (1956)
- Harold's Trip to the Sky (1957)
- Harold at the North Pole (1958)
- Harold's Circus (1959)
- A Picture for Harold's Room (1960)
- Harold's ABC (1963)
- Is This You? (1955) co-written with Ruth Krauss
- Terrible, Terrifying Toby (1957)
- Time for Spring (1957)
- The Blues Ribbons Puppies (1958)
- Ellen's Lion: Twelve Stories (1959)
- The Frowning Prince (1959)
- Will Spring Be Early? or Will Spring Be Late? (1959)
- The Lion's Own Story: Eight New Stories about Ellen's Lion (1963)
- We Wonder What Will Walter Be? When He Grows Up? (1964)
- Castles in the Sand, illus. by Betty Fraser (1965)
- The Emperor's Gifts (1965)
- Magic Beach (2005)
- Add external links here.